- Peter Cushing was originally cast as Dr Vesalius in The Abominable Dr Phibes (1971) but had to drop out due to his wife’s ill health. In the end, Joseph Cotton played the part instead.
- Scream queen Caroline Munro was uncredited in her cameo as Dr Phibes’ late wife in both movies but Munro’s appearances lead to her being offered an exclusive contract with Hammer Films.
- As well as The Abominable Dr Phibes and Dr Phibes Rises Again (1972) there were several more sequels planned but never made including Dr. Phibes in the Holy Land, The Brides of Phibes, Phibes Resurrectus and The Seven Fates of Dr. Phibes.
- Vincent Price often cracked up during filming, ruining his make-up.
- Dr Phibes did actually return in a comic book sequel called The Return of Dr Phibes in 2011 as part of the Vincent Price Presents comic book series from BlueWater comics.
Dr Phibes Rises Again is screening as part of the Cyberschizoid Birthday Party Monster Mash alongside 50′s classic How To Make A Monster on Sunday June 3rd at the Roxy Bar & Screen from 3pm. Buy tickets from WeGotTickets!